Friday, December 23, 2011

On New Friends

Say hello to the newest member of my family!



It came sooner than I anticipated, but it's a new knife! I have to say, it's been a hard summer/fall for me and my knives. After losing one of my oldest and dearest friends in July, I've had a very hard time holding on to knives. I even bought two new knives right when I got my first paycheck from my driving job, and I lost both of those (in the same canyon, strangely enough. Echo Canyon is a knife eater). In fact, I was starting to worry that I couldn't hold on to a knife at all anymore, but I haven't lost one for a couple months. So, fast-forward to December, the time when I'm flying home. Since I flew with Delta and am poor, I chose not to check a bag. That meant that I was unable to bring home a knife! I was worried that I would have to go until Christmas before I had a knife. And, truth be told, I was a little sad that I wasn't able to take a knife on the plane, though I understand why, but what if there had been terrorists on the flight? (This has, actually, prompted me to maybe write another story, either about thwarting terrorists on a plane or being heroic after a plane crash.) Anyway, I came home, resigned to going knifeless for a few days, and when I mentioned it my dad said that my grandma had been dividing up all of my grandpa's (who has severe dimentia) knives at Thanksgiving and he had grabbed me one. Thus, I ended up with this beautiful piece of work. It's not the style of knife I typically prefer, but I can tell that it's a quality piece of work. It should hold together and hold up to some abuse, and it holds a good edge, so I like it. Also, I have managed to figure out how to open it one-handed. So, I introduce my newest knife. May this be the beginning of a long and fruitful relationship. 

That being said, I leave you, as usual, with an excellent picture of me:


This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment