Tuesday, July 26, 2011

On The Loss of a Loved One

I have chosen today to mourn the loss of one of my oldest and closest friends. It was a week ago on Monday. Having just successfully completed our descent (and friggin' climbing out) of Boundary Canyon, I was changing from my adventure pants (which had very large holes in them) into my shorts, which were clean and would be much more comfortable. This is when the tragedy occurred. I took my knife out of my pocket, set it on top of the car, and forgot to put it back into my pocket.

Thus ended a very long and productive relationship. That knife has served me very well since I bought it in February or March of 2007. It has, I think, more than anything, served as a device of intimidation. However, I can't say how many times I've used it to cut the twine off of bales of hay, or cut webbing for rappelling anchors, or any number of other things. Also, the fact that it was always in my pocket, readily available should a situation involving murderers, rapists, or terrorists (or a combination of the three) arise was always very comforting. This knife will be greatly, greatly missed.

Anyway, looking on the bright side, now I get to buy a new knife once I finally have a job again! Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a solid one that can take a beating if necessary. I may just buy the exact same knife, I haven't decided yet. This all being said, I make an end. Oh, and don't worry, I still have three knives, and generally have two on my person at all times. They just aren't quite as cool as my old one. I'll end, as has been my wont recently, by posting yet another excellent picture of me.


This is Captain Danger out.

1 comment:

  1. OH NO!!!!!!! I remember when you got that knife!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad day, but I'm sure your next knife will be just as awesome =]

    ReplyDelete