Sunday, June 5, 2011

On Pain

You'll all have to forgive me if this post is a little rambling. I just decided to jump on here to write because I felt I didn't really have anything better to do. However, that being said, don't let it dissuade you from reading on. It's very possible that I could think of something clever, profound, or hilarious while I sit out on my porch in the glorious weather and write.

Anyway, on to the main subject: pain. I pride myself in something in this respect. I personally believe that I have a very high pain tolerance. Allow me to give an example that long-time followers of my blog (I realize that your numbers are pretty sparse (but getting less sparse!)) will be familiar with. Last fall I broke my arm (canyoneering, go figure) and managed to still drag my fat butt out of that canyon with said broken arm. I also didn't think that it was broken for about two weeks with it and just went about business as usual with it, lifting heavy things, playing football and ultimate, etc. I was actually really surprised when I found out it was broken, because I didn't think it hurt enough to be actually broken. That's only one example. I could give more.

My left arm was broken when this picture
was taken. I even managed a smile!

So, jump forward to yesterday. Captain Danger is out canyoneering with his friends, as is his wont. On the first downclimb in Quandary Canyon (rated 4B III) he lands funny when he jumps the last bit and rolls his ankle. Figuring it's just like other times when he rolls his ankle, he doesn't say anything about it and just goes, thinking it will quit hurting soon. It didn't. It didn't bother him much in the canyon, but once they started the exit hike, he was limping pretty bad. Okay, I'm switching perspectives. This whole writing in third person is annoying. Anyway, all I can say is that ibuprofen is a miracle drug and getting out of that canyon would have been a lot more painful if I hadn't taken five of them.

Anyway, for those of you who may be worried about my ankle, it feels a lot better today. I'm still limping on it just to keep my weight off of it so that it's back in prime condition for Havasupai this week. That being said, I think I'm done with this post. This is Captain Danger out.

1 comment:

  1. You would go to Havaisupai on a rolled ankle. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete