Thursday, April 7, 2011

Once I Thought My Innocence Was Gone

What does that title have to do with this post? Very little, actually. In fact, it may end up having nothing to do with this post. However, I'm currently listening to "For the Longest Time" by Billy Joel while I wait for the time that I'm required to stay after school is out to expire. That song is a classic and is amazing and I wish that I had two or three guys who were willing to back me up while I sang it to an audience of some kind, because I think it would sound awesome.

Anyway, what this post is really about is the fact that I'm about to be done with student teaching. I could, I suppose, make a list of things I've learned. However, I generally try not to write anything that's really meaningful on this blog, as those who follow and actually read my blog (I realize it's a small number) may have noticed. That being the case, I just have to say that finishing my student teaching is going to be an experience that I meet with mixed feelings. Most of me is pretty happy to be done and graduated. However, there is a part of me, not a tiny part, but not a huge part either, that is going to miss it. I was actually thoroughly surprised today that the class that I've had to yell at the most was the one that seemed be the saddest to see me go. In fact, I'm a little surprised that students have been sad to see me go at all. I remember when I was in high school and had student teachers. It only happened a couple times (apparently Weiser isn't a school district in high demand for student teaching), but when it did happen I always hated it and just wanted them to leave so we could have our real teacher back. However, a large number of students seem like they're really going to miss me and several have said that they want to be my friends on Facebook. I don't think that's going to fly, but it's nice of them to say that.

Overall, I think that student teachers kind of come into the classroom at an immediate disadvantage. First of all, it's not your classroom, and so the policies aren't exactly how you want them to be. Also, when I came into the classroom, I didn't know all of the class and school policies, and so I didn't know whether students were breaking rules or not. I wasn't sure how strict or lenient to be, and I didn't want to change my cooperating teacher's entire system (I didn't, either). Also, students in the classroom seemed to feel that because I was a student teacher they could get away with more. The sad thing is, that's probably true in a lot of cases. It would be kind of dumb to send students to the office as a student teacher, because it makes it look like you can't handle them.

Anyway, I'm starting to wax a little verbose in this post, and I know that, when I look at someone's blog, if the post is longer than two paragraphs I tend to just skim it a little bit and not really read it. So, that being said, I leave you to your lives. Though I have to say that I have recently been reminded of another amazing mustache, as we've been studying the middle east in my class. This one is also on the face of a very evil man. Am I seeing a pattern here? Maybe this is why women hate mustaches so much. I'll leave you with the picture of this mustache:

This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment