Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Calvin is a Genius


Pictured above is a strip from my very favorite comic: Calvin and Hobbes. Bill Watterson is a complete genius, and it's highly unfortunate that he has stopped writing. However, I just love the piece of wisdom presented in this comic. What is the true meaning of happiness? As with other jokes on my blog, I am going to explain this one. You see, it's funny, because Calvin's idea of happiness is completely shaped by the mass media. However, in his second question he removes women from the meaning of happiness. I think that this is so funny to me partially because I get such a kick out of chauvinist jokes

While this comic is just funny for its face value, Calvin actually has a very valid point. In fact, I would venture to say that there are several men who would put women on a list of things that denote the true meaning of unhappiness. I'm not in this category, I love women, but it's no secret that they are very good at causing men who don't have steel hearts to be unhappy. I could continue this discussion, but I think it might get me shot.

However, when it comes to cars and money, I would put them high on my happiness list. Granted, there are more important things, like family and friends, and the gospel of Jesus Christ and everything else, but I'll tell you what. If I were behind the wheel of a Corvette, with a few hundred dollar bills in my pocket, I would have a hard time not being happy. Call me materialistic and evil, but that's just the way I feel. So, Calvin is a genius. Money and cars, minus the women. It's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment